About my projects and life: Gardening, birdwatching, fiber arts, weaving, knitting, spinning, tablet weaving, quilting, woodworking

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Misadventures in warping

I wanted to get pictures up quickly on warping the board to show the loom in use for people.


However, this resulted in a lesson on "how not to warp."

I warped in a hurry, and forgot half of the threads in the center section. I also did not preserve the cross. I thought (wrongly!) that I could just scoot the top border threads towards the top of the pegs on the warping board, and pass the balls of yarn under the already warped threads.

This ends up in a lesson in frustration!. Don't do it! The 'add in' center section ended up way, way too twisted, and way to loose. If I was trying to use a backstrap, I could not use this warp! In order to salvage the warp, I hand-picked a cross at the far end of the warp, while the warp was under tension from the weight- aka water bottle. Then I carefully slid the cross held by two sticks towards the 'front' end, untangling twisted warps as I went. When I got the end, where the twists would not let the sticks go any further, I stoped. I then carefully wound the extra warp on the back beam inserting a stick on each round to keep the warp kinda staight.








I added string heddles, and a lease bar, and then wove a few sticks into the warp to make a solid header. I wove about an inch, and then took pictures and put the loom in its "home" rather than our kitchen table.



Now, The the photograph shows a general clue as how to use the warping board. The drawing above shows a  correct path. This is the longest warp my board will give. I could have stopped at the upper right hand corner, or the lower left hand corner to get a shorter warp.
 
Happy weaving on warps with no tangles!
 

No comments: